Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Not All Smoothies Are Created Equal

Some people think you can throw any mix of fruit into a blender and it will always taste good, but this myth is NOT TRUE.

Here's what works: frozen strawberries, banana, cinnamon apple sauce, OJ, and milk. Really well, actually. It's delicious.

Here's what apparently doesn't: peaches, mango, pineapple, honey, and ice.

I figured they are all somewhat tropical types of fruit so somehow it'll come out tasting good, but I was wrong. The flavors didn't mesh together and it tasted really watery. I'm definitely a proponent of using frozen fruit instead of ice to bulk up a smoothie because it just gives it so much more flavor. I use a little bit of milk because I like my smoothies slightly creamy.

Target's Market Pantry brand has these really good smoothie kits that come with frozen fruit and a flavor packet that probably is mostly sugar. You just add water, or juice, or whatever liquid suits your fancy. One combination I like in particular includes bananas, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries. I never would've thought the banana could get along with all those dark berries, but once again I was proved incorrect.

Currently I'm looking for some sort of recipe that would involve Guava nectar because on a whim I picked it up at the store a few weeks nack. I know it tastes good, I just need something to do with it. If anyone has ideas, let me know!

2 comments:

Brayden said...

Use guava with mango. even if it's just mango juice with bananas and strawberries as the actual fruit.
They all go great together.

Shannon said...

Gracias, Brayden. I will have to try that.