Monday, January 17, 2011

Monday Night Rantings: A Forced Post

It's been a week! Aah! Too long, too long.

Went to sushi tonight with some friends. I'm learning that I really like sushi rolls that have cream cheese in them, and I really like whatever they call Ton Katsu - fried pork with some type of sweet sauce drizzled over it. Fried pork is a strange concept in America, even though we have everything else fried - chicken, fries, rice, ice cream, etc. I particularly have to chuckle when I hear "chicken fried steak" just because that phrase makes it sound like two types of meat when it's only one.

Randomness. . . la la. . .

I'm also learning that I like driving, especially long distances on highways that aren't totally straight for 20 miles at a time (ahem*Oregon). I love listening to music in my car and it's the perfect opportunity, plus I just like the feeling of independence, going places far away on your own and actually knowing what you're doing. Today's round trip consisted of an almost solid hour of Breaking Benjamin, and Framing Hanley on most of the way back, with a few slower, scattered songs from my Get Acquainted With playlist towards the end, such as some stuff by Joshua Radin, Citizen Cope, and Iron & Wine. Reassessing my library over the last couple of weeks has brought me to realize I would greatly benefit from possession of more Iron & Wine music. They just are the perfect potion for calmness in my mind. Other music I'm hoping to get soon is the latest Linkin Park CD, and a few releases that should be coming out this spring (RED!! Rise Against! more than I can't think of at the moment!). And holy cow, according to this website there are so many more to look forward to that I had no idea about!

What else is new with me lately? Well I got slightly behind in my classes this weekend. Hopefully I can catch up soon and get back on the bandwagon, because I don't like feeling the least bit off schedule, no matter how minor the setback is. Last week I had some job application woes that aren't appropriate to discuss on the blog. Actually, most of the things that I have felt like venting about (or praising) fall under that category, so no wonder it's been so long since my last post.

Random thought: I feel the need to say that in every encounter I have with a new group of people, I'm forced to reassess my love of this place that I live in, and think about whether or not I can see myself staying here for the rest of my life. I don't know where else I'd want to go, but I often feel like I don't belong here, or sometimes in this world at all. That sounds really dramatic. But what I mean is that basically it's very rare to find a group of humans like myself who I actually relate to and want to spend time with, whose values reflect my own and who have fun the same ways I do. I hesitate to say that I think I've finally find that group, because I don't want to jinx it and lose any of the awesome relationships I've gained. And at the same time, I keep thinking this is just college and when I actually get past this stage of my life and start the next chapter, I'll have to go through the whole ordeal of not fitting in again. How am I ever going to find a husband? People in this state are so whack that you can almost observe males in their early 20s practicing their mating call because it's that time to find a wife. If they're not flaunting their feathers at the tame organized school dances, then they've already got a ring on their finger, and the rest of the country is the complete opposite, where everyone has sex with everyone else and you've got to read silly books on how to operate in the dating world.

Needless to say I'm scared of the future. What an off-topic topic, eh? This is more of what my real journal entries sound like, which I've been trying to keep in my actual journal. But hey, I really needed to post something. Goodnight, world.

1 comment:

Lyssa Rose said...

Shannon I totally can relate to the whole not fitting in thing. I feel like I have a lot of AWESOME friends...but the general public in Logan is made of stuck-up Mormons. I hate it! I love the Tech Writing program here but not a lot of the people. I can't wait to get out Utah, basically. ha