Sunday, April 18, 2010

"Deaf Again" + B-day Wish List

For my second semester of American Sign Language, one of our projects was to read a book called Deaf Again and write a report on it. It was the easiest report I’ve ever had to do, since we pretty much just had to answer the who’s, what’s, where’s, when’s, and why’s, plus how it made us FEEL and such. Anyway, the point I wanted to make is that it’s a good book and I would like to recommend it to anyone who is interested in learning about deaf culture a little bit, or the struggles people go through to fit into the deaf and/or hearing community.

Essentially it’s an autobiography that moves very quickly and doesn’t take very long to read at all. You get to read about this guy (Mark Drolsbaugh) grow up in a state of confusion about what kind of schools he should be going to, how to deal with his family that doesn’t know sign language, etc. But on top of learning about the deaf people stuff, I felt like he actually touched on a lot of other important life lessons that we could all learn from. Nothing really deep, but just a few points that I found probably contributed greatly to his lifetime savings bank of wisdom. It sounds like he is living his life right.

So I’m not gonna go into too much detail, but here is a link to the book on Amazon if you care to learn more (also, if you get bored, you can read it in like a day or two): http://www.amazon.com/Deaf-Again-4th-Mark-Drolsbaugh/dp/0965746062/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271650095&sr=8-1

But if you want to read it, borrow it from me instead of paying that much money for it.

OK and since I’m excited that my birthday is coming up (Golden Spike Day, everybody!), I thought I’d compile a version of my birthday wish list. Just mainly cuz I feel like it, and so my parents can have something to refer to when they are shopping for me J

Music
- Breaking Benjamin: Phobia
- Sufjan Stevens: Illinois
- Owl City
- New Moon Soundtrack
- 30 Seconds to Mars’s new cd
- John Mayer’s new cd
- maybe some Shinedown
- Rise Against: The Sufferer and the Witness
- new Muse cd

Books
- Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner
- Crank by Ellen Hopkins
- Brave New World
- The Girl’s Guide to Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Bank
- Love Letters of Great Men by John C. Kirkland
- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
- Heart on My Sleeve by Ellen Wittlinger
- Let It Snow by John Green, Lauren Myracle, & Maureen Johnson
- The Bad Girl’s Guide to the Open Road by Cameron Tuttle

That was a really lame list. I hope I don’t just get books and cd’s. Besides that, $$$ is always nice, and so would be a GOOD bottle of black nail polish. I can’t really think of anything else at this moment. I always love new clothes but it’s best I buy those on my own. OH and I’m sure I would also have fun with Guitar Hero 5.

Note: If anyone could help me get a job for my birthday, that would be awesome.


No comments: