Thursday, March 24, 2011

Slightly Strange Occurences of the Conscious & Unconscious

Last night I had a dream. In this dream I was trying to sleep, in my same bed I was sleeping in for real. Except I couldn't, because there were demons in my room, whose presence I could feel so menacingly, but they were hidden and I couldn't find them. Somebody must've told me they were within the pictures on my walls, and in this dream I had a lot of artsy pictures on my walls, so I laboriously removed every one of the wall hangings, hoping to God that my efforts would eradicate the demons that so frighteningly haunted me. They were still there. Meaning a part of the devil was constantly watching me in my room and I could not sleep (in the dream). In fact, one of the times I woke up (in the dream), there was floss-like string all over me and my bed. Don't ask what for, but it was physical evidence of an evil spirit! Other stuff came about that alluded to their existence, but I can't remember the specifics now. I was then told the demons might be hiding out in the dolls that reside on the shelves above my desk ... creepy. I removed all of them, but still the demons were there. It felt so real; I was legitimately freaking out, and it wasn't one of those dreams where you know you're dreaming. I thought it was real life. And then I woke up, and I remember first being so happy it was all fake, and then after that I had a profound thought which I have since forgotten. Funny how that happens. I wonder if Thomas Edison had the whole lightbulb thing figured out in the middle of the night a couple times before he thought of it during the daytime, in an actually lucid state. He might've been wasting all that time simply because the idea escaped him so quickly, like some of my best ideas do in the night.

Strange occurence number two. Well, first of all, let me just say today was a really good radio day. I heard a few not-so-well known songs from some of my favorite bands, which is always cool, because they usually only play the hit single at the time. Anyway, lately I've been thinking a lot about free will and God's plan for our lives, and to what degree those can actually coexist. I've also been really frustrated that I have so many doubts because of these things - puzzles that my brain cannot work out because they don't make sense, which leads me to distrust everything except that which I know. The good news is I've just had some profound thoughts (that have stuck with me!) that have helped me get a better grasp on this logical struggle of sorts. Or at least I've found a sort-of answer that sort-of satisfies my psyche for the time being. And while I was pondering this more in depth on the way home from bible study tonight, a Depeche Mode song came on, and immediately I heard the words "If God has a master plan That only He understands, I hope it's Your eyes He's seeing through." This lyric (from Precious) doesn't exactly describe what I was thinking about the whole thing, because I mainly got lost on the seeing through your eyes part, but other than that, it was a perfect link. God's master plan, and me not understanding. It was just weird how it happened to come on the radio right as I was thinking about it. You know?

Strange occurence number three. Yesterday I took a nap and woke up feeling like I had done the most intense arm workout the day before. Like maybe in the hour I was lying down for, I did a bajillion reps of whatever exercises make your arms super sore the next day. Except I had not lifted or done any reps of anything. The only thing I can think of is that I played Just Dance the day before the nap, but it still doesn't make sense, even if it was a vigorous workout, why the soreness appeared during my nap. Makes no sense! Stretching out my arms now, I can still feel it.

Strange occurence number four. Sometime during the day today while I was awake, I think I broke my pinky-toe. All of the sudden it started feeling bruised and painful, and it kind of got worse as the day wore on. Now i'm looking at it and there is a noticeably purple line that kind of goes across the skin. I mean, it's one thing to be baffled at the injuries you obtain in your sleep, because you don't know what's going on the whole time, but when I'm awake the entire day and suddenly a part of me starts hurting for no reason ... I have to worry a little.

Yeah, that's all I wanted to say. My apologies for the abnormally large first two chunky paragraphs. I hope I don't dream of demons again. For some reason, I had this feeling like it wasn't the first time I had that dream. But I don't know. If it comes again, I'll know something's really up.

1 comment:

Captain Jake said...

I hate dreams about demons. I've had a few of them and they haunt you after! They're kinda horrifying. BUT strangely enough I too have been contemplating the idea of choice VS Free will. We should discuss that in person. haha